The #TalkSuicide campaign encourages people across the region to complete a free 20-minute online suicide prevention training programme.
The video based training available at www.talksuicide.co.uk helps you to learn life-saving skills and improve the support network for those struggling with suicidal thoughts.
The Zero Suicide Alliance – a group of NHS Trusts, businesses and individuals committed to suicide prevention – has created the training to help people spot signs in people experiencing suicidal thoughts, and equip them with the information and skills to help them help these people.
There were 5,821 registered suicides in the UK in 2017 – more than one death every two hours – with the Yorkshire and Humber region having some of the highest suicide rates in England. Mental health issues and financial problems are some of the biggest contributing factors to suicide.
National statistics show that suicide is the biggest killer of men aged under 50. Men accounted for three quarters of suicides registered in 2017, while those aged between 45-49 are considered to be most at risk.
Anyone can undertake the training, which only takes 20 minutes to complete, at www.talksuicide.co.uk
Completing the training will help you to:
- Spot signs in people experiencing suicidal thoughts
- Feel comfortable speaking about suicide in a supportive manner
- Signpost individuals suffering from suicidal thoughts to the correct services or support
Visit www.talksuicide.co.uk to complete the video-based suicide prevention training and learn more about the #TalkSuicide campaign.
If you need urgent help, or if you’re worried about the mental or emotional state of yourself or someone you know, help is available from the following services:
- Samaritans offer a 24-hours a day, 7 days a week support service. Call them FREE on 116 123 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- CALM Campaign Against Living Miserably– for men call 0800 58 58 58 – 5pm to midnight every day – Visit the webchat page
- PAPYRUS (support for young people) Freephone 0800 068 4141 or email email@example.com