View navigation

We are now part of the Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership. Click here for more info.

NHS Continuing Healthcare

NHS Continuing Healthcare (NHS CHC) is a package of care for adults aged 18 or over which is arranged and funded solely by the NHS. In order to receive NHS CHC funding individuals have to be assessed by Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) according to a legally prescribed decision making process to determine whether the individual has a ‘primary health need’.

Eligibility is determined by and defined in the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care.

Once eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your care will be funded by the NHS but this is subject to review, and should your care needs change the funding arrangements may also change.

Assessment for NHS Continuing Healthcare

A health and social care professional (this might be a social worker, nurse, GP or other specialist healthcare professional) can refer people to Continuing Healthcare. People that are not in contact with health and care professionals, but believe that they may be eligible for funding, can also contact the Continuing Healthcare team and request a Continuing Healthcare Checklist.

This checklist is a screening tool used to identify if an individual needs to be referred for full assessment of eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding.

Details of the National Framework, associated assessment tools and further information can be found here.    

Fast-track assessment for NHS continuing healthcare

If your health is deteriorating rapidly and you're nearing the end of your life, you may be considered for the NHS continuing healthcare fast-track pathway, so that an appropriate care and support package can be put in place as soon as possible.

NHS CHC Fast Track funding leaflet

Personal Health Budgets

If you're eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, the next stage is to arrange a care and support package that meets your assessed needs. Depending on your situation, different options could be suitable, including support in your own home and the option of a personal health budget. More information about Personal Health budgets is available here.

Advocacy and advice

Beacon, an organisation funded by NHS England, gives free independent advice on NHS Continuing Healthcare. Phone 0345 548 0300 or online.

You can also write to Beacon, 10 Napier Court, Barton Lane, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3YT.

Contacting the Vale of York CCG Continuing Health Care Team

Phone: 0300 303 8294


Write to: 1st Floor, Building 2, Amy Johnson Way, Clifton Moor, York, YO30 4XT 

Please note that unless encrypted, emails are not secure and are sent at your own risk when enclosing personal or sensitive information. During the COVID-19 pandemic, contact via email is preferred.

Continuing Healthcare Appeals Process

Children and Young People Continuing Care

NHS continuing healthcare is for adults. Children and young people may receive a continuing care package if they have needs arising from disability, accident or illness that can't be met by existing universal or specialist services alone. Find out more about the children and young people's continuing care service here.

Stay connected