Support for Losing Weight
Local authority partner resources
City of York
- The exercise referral scheme is an introduction to physical activity that enables GPs and other health professionals to recommend a course of exercise for people who they believe would benefit from it.
- The scheme entitles you to join an activity programme at East Riding of Yorkshire Council leisure facilities that are linked to your GP surgery. Throughout the programme you will have the help and guidance of specially qualified exercise professionals.
- Referrals are made by your GP or health professional. The scheme is based on a recommended two sessions per week over a period of 10 weeks. The cost is £33.00 and payable on registration. It is understood that in exceptional circumstances, the £33.00 fee may not be possible. In this circumstance please advise a member of the Exercise Referral Team.
- Healthtrainers provide personal support and motivation to adults across the East Riding of Yorkshire. The service offers direct support, guidance and motivation to individuals who want to make a change to their lifestyle. Individuals can also be signposted to other services, groups and organisations in the local area.
- You may want to get fitter, control your weight, have a healthier diet, reduce your alcohol consumption or quit smoking. Or you may want to reduce your stress levels or just feel better about yourself. If you want to become healthier but don’t know where to start a Healthtrainer will be able to help you work out exactly what you want and how to go about it.
- Healthtrainers will provide guidance, support and motivation with:
- Healthy Eating
- Losing Weight
- Physical Activity
- Stopping Smoking and Substances
- Reducing Alcohol Consumption
- Sexual Health
- Reducing Stress and Anxiety
- Self Care
- Healthtrainers can spend up to an hour with you at each meeting and you can meet with your personal health trainer weekly or fortnightly. The team also offers telephone support if you find it difficult to get out.
- Healthtrainers are currently in the Pocklington Health Centre on Thursdays from 9am to 12noon and Fridays from 9am to 5pm.
- For further information about the Healthtrainer Service phone 0800 917 7752.
Mobile device apps
One You Couch to 5km
- The Couch to 5km app has been designed to get you off the couch and running in just nine weeks. Grab your trainers, download the app and follow the step-by-step instructions.
One You Drinks Tracker
- Drinking a bit too much can sneak up on you. This free drinks tracker app makes it easy to keep an eye on the booze you drink and take control with daily tips and feedback.
One You Easy Meals
- This free easy meals app is a great way to eat foods that are healthier for you. If you're ever short of inspiration you'll find delicious, easy meal ideas.
- One You supports you to make simple changes towards a longer and happier life. You can make small changes yourself, or with friends and family. It provides tools, support and encouragement every step of the way and help you improve your health.
- Take the free One You health quiz to see how you score and start the fight back to a healthier you. Read more at https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/about-one-you#Esej5Qcxo516Yi3q.99
The NHS Weight Loss Plan
- The NHS Website offers a diet and exercise plan which will help you lose weight in a safe and sustainable way.
- The plan will support you to adopt a healthier lifestyle and learn how to keep the weight off in the long term. A 12 week guide to weight loss is delivered through weekly information packs full of diet, healthy eating and physical exercise advice. The plan also includes a food and exercise chart where you can track progress, calories, exercise and weight loss. You can also calculate your BMI and calorie intake on the website and get support through the online community from others who are trying to lose weight.
- Get started at http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/losing-weight-getting-started.aspx
- This scheme is a free 12 month healthy lifestyle programme that addresses weight management and physical activity for individuals (over 18 years) with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 45 and over.
- The programme aims to provide tailored advice and support to reduce calorie intake, increase sustainable physical activity and reduce sedentary behaviour.
- Individuals get:
- 12 months personal support and tuition from qualified instructors
- An individual analysis of their needs and expectations
- A tailored programme of exercise, nutrition and psychological support to promote increases in levels of physical activity, healthy eating and motivation to support lifestyle changes
- Support to exercise at a leisure centre (seated if necessary) or at home
- Free access during the 12 months to the programmed exercise activities and to all other activities at the leisure centre
- A free pass for a family member/friend to access the leisure centre activities with them, to provide support to the individual on the Live Well programme.
- Modern life is resulting in people being a lot less active and eating more convenience and fast foods. This is having a negative impact on the health of both adults and children. Nine out of ten children today are likely to grow up with dangerous amounts of fat in their bodies which could cause life threatening illnesses such as cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Change4Life is the first step to helping you and your children eat more healthily, get moving more and live longer. The site includes recipes, information about local activities and advice about drinking less alcohol.
- Go to http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/change-for-life.aspx
Tier 3 Obesity Management Service
For patients who have a BMI ≥35 and have maximised primary care and community conservative management, further information regarding Tier 3 services can be found here.