View navigation

We are now part of the Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership. Click here for more info.

Compliments and complaints

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or service, and this is written into the NHS Constitution on GOV.UK. 

From 1 July 2023 the way you can make a complaint about primary care services to the commissioner is changing.  By primary care services we mean GPs, dentists, opticians or pharmacy services. 

There are two ways you can make a complaint: 

  • You can complain to the healthcare provider: this is the organisation where you received the NHS service, for example a GP surgery or dental surgery.   
  • You can complain to the commissioner of the service: this is the organisation that paid for the service or care you received. 

After 1 July 2023 if you want to make a complaint about primary care services to the commissioner you will now contact the Experience Team within NHS Humber and North Yorkshire Integrated Care Board instead of NHS England. 

You can do this by: 

Telephone: 01904 555999


Writing to us at: The Experience Team, Humber and North Yorkshire ICB, Health Place, Wrawby Road, Brigg, DN20 8GS

If you want to make a complaint directly to the provider of the primary care service, you still can – that does not change on the 1 July 2023. 

Members of the public with ongoing complaints received on/after 1 July 2022 will receive a letter from NHS England informing them that the ICB is now handling their complaint with confirmation of their case handler. 

Members of the public with any ongoing complaints received before 1 July 2022 will receive a letter from NHS England informing them that their complaint is being retained by NHS England with confirmation of their case handler.

If you have any questions or queries about the changes, please contact the Experience Team at

Find out more about how to feedback or make a complaint about an NHS service 

What happens if my complaint involves a number of different organisations?

If your complaint involves more than one NHS organisation or the NHS and social care, you only need to make one complaint and you will receive a single, coordinated response.

If any part of the joint complaint relates to a primary care service, (that is a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician), the complaint will need to be raised with NHS England – their details are provided in the 'Patient Relations' section.

Who can help me in making a complaint?

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service

The North Yorkshire NHS Complaints Advocacy Service can guide and support you though the complaints process. They can help you put your complaint in writing and attend meetings with you. However, the Advocacy team does not investigate complaints.

Support is available for residents of the Vale of York who live in North Yorkshire. The service is free, confidential and independent from the NHS.

The service is provided by Cloverleaf Advocacy, an independent health complaints advocacy service.

York Advocacy

York Advocacy delivers a range of specialist advocacy services

NHS Advocacy – If you have a complaint or concern about the care and treatment you have received from an NHS organisation or service, the NHS advocacy service can support you to feedback your experiences or make a complaint.

General Advocacy – If you are aged between 18-65, have a disability, mental ill-health or you are a vulnerable person, you can receive support from York Advocacy.

Self Advocacy – If you want to self-advocate and speak up yourself about issues that affect you or if you are part of a group of people who want to form your own self-advocacy group and need some information or support, York Advocacy can support you.

Download the straightforward York Advocacy leaflet here.

Otherwise, to contact York Advocacy:
• Write to - York Advocacy Hub, Highcliffe House, Highcliffe Court, York, YO30 6BP.
• Phone - 01904 414357
• Email -
• Or go to the website -

Local Healthwatch

Local Healthwatch supports individuals by providing information about access to services and choice to help enable people to take more control of their own health, treatment and care and understand and use the choices available to them.

For further information for your local Healthwatch, please visit their website:

Healthwatch North Yorkshire
• The Centre @ Burnholme, Mossdale Avenue, York, YO31 0HA
• Tel: 01904 552687
• E-mail:
• Their Freepost address is:

Healthwatch East Riding
Brough Business Centre, Skillings Lane, Brough, East Riding of Yorkshire HU15 1EN
Tel: 01482 665684
Freephone: 0808 801 0385

Healthwatch York
FREEPOST RTEG-BLES-RRYJ, Healthwatch York, 15 Priory Street, YO1 6ET
Tel: 01904 621133
office-based mobile (for people who prefer to text): 07779 597361

Patient Contact List

Comment or complain about a health service

You can speak to

Useful contact details





The service provider or NHS England

NHS England

• Tel: 0300 311 22 33
• Email:
• By post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Hospital & Community Health Services

The organisation providing the service.

Hospital services  and Community Health services are provided by York Teaching Hospital Foundation Trust

York Teaching Hospital – Making a Complaint

• Tel: 01904 725137
• Email:
• By post: Complaints Team, York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Wigginton Road, York, YO31 8HE

Mental Health & Learning Disability services

Mental Health and Learning Disability services are provided by the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust (TEWV)

TEWV Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

• Tel: 0800 052 0219
• Email:
• By post: Flatts Lane Centre, Flatts Lane, Normanby, Middlesbrough, TS6 0SZ

NHS 111

Yorkshire Ambulance Service

Yorkshire Ambulance Service

• Tel: 0345 122 0535
• Email:      
• Post: Patient Relations Helpdesk, Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Springhill, Brindley Way, Wakefield 41 Business Park, Wakefield, WF2 0XQ

North Yorkshire Wheelchair Service – Complaints Process

NRS Healthcare

• Tel: 01904 654052
• Email:   
• Post: North Yorkshire & York Wheelchair Services, Unit 13 Stirling Business Park, Bleriot Way, York, YO30 4WU


NRS can be contacted between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Help and assistance is also available out of hours for powered wheelchairs only (evenings, weekends and bank holidays).

Vale of York Clinical Commissioning Group

(Including Continuing Health Care)

The Vale of York Clinical Commissioning Group’s Patient Experience Team.



• Tel: 01904 555999
• Email:
• Post: NHS Vale of York Clinical Commissioning Group, West Offices, Station Rise, York YO1 6GA

Patient Relations Information Leaflet

Yorkshire Doctors Urgent Care





The service provider or the Yorkshire Doctors Urgent Care Governance department.



Yorkshire Doctors Urgent Care Governance Department

• Tel: 01642 733672

• Email:

• Post: Governance Department
YDUC, Maple House, Ground Floor, Clifton Park Avenue, York, YO30 5PB

Yorkshire Doctors Urgent Care 'how to make a complaint' leaflet

What happens if I am unhappy with the response?

We aim to ensure that all complaints are handled well and that appropriate action is taken to resolve a concern. We will do everything that we feel is appropriate in order to try and resolve matters to your satisfaction.

If you remain unhappy after your complaint has been addressed, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your complaint. You should do this within twelve months from the date on which the subject matter of the complaint occurred.

The PHSO can be contacted:
Helpline: 0345 015 4033
In writing: Ombudsman at Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
Further information about the Ombudsman is also available on their website:

Stay connected