View navigation

Self Care Week 2017: Vale of York residents urged to choose right care, first time

Vale of York residents are being encouraged to take steps to improve their health and wellbeing during Self Care Week 2017 and beyond.

Self Care Week, which starts today (Monday 13 November), is a national campaign organised by the Self Care Forum to raise awareness about the benefits of self care and what people can do to take care of their own health.

The theme of this year’s awareness week is ‘engaging and empowering people’ – because it’s important that we make our own healthy life choices now to look after ourselves in the future. 

With that in mind, NHS Vale of York Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is encouraging people to choose the right NHS service if they are unwell or injured to avoid unnecessary trips to their GP or to the A&E department.

Choosing the right care, first time means that you will receive the best treatment available and allows busy NHS services to provide treatment and care in the most appropriate setting.

Self-treat minor illnesses and injuries at home

You can often self-treat many minor illnesses and injuries at home by keeping your medicine cabinet and first aid kit well stocked with medicines such as paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Most simple ailments will begin to get better within a couple of days. Self care and stay well by keeping your medicine cabinet stocked up with these items.

Make the most of your pharmacist

Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals who can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses such as colds, flu, minor rashes and pain relief. They can also help answer any questions you may have about the medication you are taking.

Many pharmacies are open late into the evening and on bank holidays. They all have a consultation room so you can speak privately.

To find the nearest pharmacy near you, visit:

See your GP if you have an illness or injury that won’t go away

You should make an appointment to see your GP if you have an illness or injury that won’t go away. GPs can provide a range of treatments and can also refer you to other health services if you need specialist advice or treatment.

If you're moving away from home - to go to university, for example – you’ll need to register with a new GP. Find out more about GP services and how to register as a patient.

Call NHS 111 if you have an illness or injury that needs treatment quickly

NHS non-emergency number 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When you call 111 you will speak to a highly trained adviser who is supported by healthcare professionals and they will direct you to the most appropriate medical care.

Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice when it is not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if you:

Emergency care is for serious or life-threatening illness or injury

A&E is for medical emergencies and serious health issues, such as having difficulty breathing, chest pains or serious accidents.

If you have a medical emergency, call 999 for an ambulance or go to the nearest emergency department. The emergency department in the Vale of York is located at York Hospital.

Call 111 if you are unsure about the type of care you need. An adviser will direct you to the most appropriate health service.

Dr Andrew Phillips, the CCG’s joint medical director, said: “I would encourage people in the Vale of York to embrace self care by making healthy life choices now in order to look after themselves in the future. 

“Self care is about living well and being healthy. Being active, eating healthily and learning when to self treat common ailments are all ways to embrace self care.

“Choosing the right care, first time when you are unwell or injured is also important as it helps to ensure that you get the best treatment available and allows busy NHS services to provide treatment and care in the most appropriate setting."

< Back to all news stories

Stay connected