Female Urinary Incontinence Service
York Hospital runs two linked services for management of female urinary incontinence. Cases are reviewed for management at combined MDTs.
• Urge Incontinence pathway; with flexible cystoscopy and intra-vesical Botox for failed medical therapy. This is done under LA. Pre- and post-operative support is offered by a Urology Specialist Nurse.
• Stress Incontinence; vaginal tape therapy ( under LA) and post-op support.
• Offers a One-stop clinic for assessment of other Urinary Symptoms eg. Painful micturition.
• Offers the above services, but surgical interventions are performed under GA.
• Incontinence in combination with significant prolapse should be referred to this service.
• Offers uro-dynamics and diagnostic testing for other urinary symptoms.
• For Stress Incontinence:
o A 3 month course of pelvic floor exercise under the supervision of either a physiotherapist or continence advisor.
o Review at the end of the course. If there is no improvement then refer with bladder diary
• For Overactive Bladder and Urge Incontinence see the overactive bladder pathway
Referral to the Urinary Incontinence Service, Urology Department, York Teaching Hospital - click here
Information to include in referral letter
- Clear indication for referral: stress, urgem mixed incontinence or other.
- Details of therapies to date
- 3 day bladder diary
- Past medical/ surgical history
- Drug history
- Detail of therapy tried as per local Vale of York guideline
- Smoking cessation
York Urology Continence Service