​​​​​​​Special educational needs and disability (SEND)

The Children and Families Act (2014) places a statutory duty on the NHS to work with their local authority partners to provide help and support to children and young people aged 0-25 years and who have a learning disability or Special Educational Needs (SEN) and their families.

Under the act we must work with our local authority partners, City of York Council, North Yorkshire County Council and East Riding of Yorkshire Council to:

  • Identify children and young people with SEN early.
  • Offer early support to children and young people with SEN and their families.
  • Communicate with and gather the views of children, young people and their families and other users of SEN services.
  • Support Education, Health and Care Needs Assessments.

As part of this work, our three local authority partners have developed SEND Local Offer websites.  These Local Offer websites put a range of information about education, health and social care, and activities to support children, young people and their families all in one place.  They also set out details of main local health providers, York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, our acute and community services provider https://www.yorkhospitals.nhs.uk/and Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust, who provides mental health services and support https://www.tewv.nhs.uk/

The Local Offer websites provide information on available SEN resources, including:

  • Early Years 0-5 years
  • Education and training
  • Becoming an adult
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Equipment
  • Transport
  • Leisure
  • Social care
  • Support and advice services
  • Finance
  • Parental support

If you think that additional support is required to meet the needs of your child, or if you would like some extra help or information, please visit the Local Offer website for the area in which you live to see what is available and who you can contact for help and support.

Local Offer websites:


Live Well York - community directory

In City of York there is a directory of services, Live Well York, which provides advice and information for those over the age of 18 who may have specialist needs or disabilities.

This website covers some of the same topics as the Local Offer and will be useful as young people move into adult life.  Please follow the link for the website.