Toolkit - resources, presentations and information for engagement
We have designed a toolkit to provide our staff with resources to help them to assess the level of public and patient engagement that is needed within any project large or small. We use the NHS England patient and public engagement statutory guidelines to help us with decision making.
This process includes tools such as a stakeholder mapping process, guidance for equality impact assessments and a template to address if the legal duty needs to be applied.
These resources are also shared with members of the public who take part in engagement opportunities within the CCG. These include our lay members on committees, such as the Chair of the Maternity Voices Partnership or Healthwatch.
- Patient and public participation assessment and planning form - to help assess the level of engagement
- Communications and engagement plan
- Quality and equality impact assessment, to assess and measure the potential impact of proposed service changes or reviews.
- Embedding engagement and comms - PowerPoint
- Improving equality across protected characteristics - Equality Impact Assessment form prompt sheet
- Population health – understanding our Vale of York population, useful resources
- NHSE statutory guidance for patient participation
- 10 steps to better engagement (delivered by NHSE May 2018)
- Population health information - who is our Vale of York Community?
- NHS Vale of York stakeholders and interested parties - to help with identifying who we should be involving in our work
Training and support for our Patient and Public Voice Partners (PPV)
We have a number of lay members who sit on our committees. As part of their induction into the CCG we offer a number of resources for them. As a member of the public you are more than welcome to use any of the resources on this page.
- Induction pack for the Maternity Voices Partnership (MVP) role
- Training resources from NHS England: These training sessions are free to attend and can be done in the confort of your own home: https://www.england.nhs.uk/participation/learning/learning-for-patients-and-the-public-non-accredited-courses/
- How does the NHS work – Click here to view the King’s Fund Video
Patient experience toolkit - coaching
In partnership with the Improvement Academy we have been trained to be patient experience coaches. We will be working with our patient and public voices and maternity voices partnership to help with gathering feedback.
Presentations about the CCG and how we involve the public in our work:
- Healthwatch Assembly Presentation: Jan 2019
- Commissioning presentation for healthcare staff - Jan 2019
Regular training sessions:
We provide regular updates to our staff to help then with understanding the importance of involving our patients and public in our work.
September and November 2018
Embedding engagement and communications within projects. The aim of this session was to increase awareness of the legal duty to involve and encourage our staff to incorporate comms and engagement throughout any project cycle. It was aimed at our project and quality teams.
Equality, engagement and health inequalities November 2018:
The aim of the session was to increase understanding and knowledge of the connection between equality engagement and health inequalities duties within the NHS.
- Equality and health inequalities training slide pack for November 2018
- Equality legislation hand out
- Sources of information for health inequality data
- Improving equality across protected characteristics
- NHS England training resources
For more information about how we ensure equality runs through our decision making, visit our dedicated equality and diversity page
Population helath and inequalities session: 14 Feb 2019
Dr Victoria Turner gave a talk on our Vale of York population – its health needs, data sources and useful tools, needs of individual wards and how this impacts upon our work/planning and improving the health of our population.
Information and where to get data on our population:
Vale of York CCG population health profile:
York population profiles
- Local authority level https://data.yorkopendata.org/dataset/york-profile
- Ward level https://data.yorkopendata.org/dataset/york-ward-profiles-2018-19-q3
- LA & district level http://hub.datanorthyorkshire.org/dataset/jsna-data
Joint Strategic Needs Assessments
- York http://www.healthyork.org
- North Yorkshire http://hub.datanorthyorkshire.org/dataset/jsna-data
- East Riding https://www.eastriding.gov.uk/living/health-and-wellbeing/joint-strategic-and-pharmaceutical-needs-assessments/
- PHE Fingertips https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/
- PHE Local Health http://www.localhealth.org.uk
- SHAPE Atlas https://shapeatlas.net/place/
- NHS Digital (https://digital.nhs.uk/